Saturday, May 19, 2018

The pause in blogging

It's been more than a year since I've written my last blog and I feel that an explanation is long overdue.

In short what happened is a mild sleep-deprived burnout combined with my inability to balance family time. As a result, I had to make changes in my morning routine and how I spend my time and energy. Blogging just did not make it. 

In details - I had this routine of getting up very early, like 5 am, to blog. Unfortunately, I did not get the memo saying "if you are going to wake up at 5 am, you have to be asleep at 9 pm the previous night". Which is quite impossible while having kids. So the inevitable happened - I found myself with less and less energy each day. That was not sustainable and drastic changes were needed.

The productivity folks use to say - optimize your energy, not your time - so I decided to dump everything and to add only the most essential energy draining activities and fill the rest with recharge and rest and in time to add the non-essentials.


Blogging had to go because it was the reason I woke up so early. I also had to drop facebook trolling and my hobby interest in climate change and renewables but they were far easier to let go.

My morning routine changed into only meditation (Thanks, Headspace!) and exercises plus some extra time to absorb the delays and for thinking/slacking.


On top of that, I had (and still have) the inevitable imposter syndrome attack - "OMG! You are a complete noob, how dare you write blogs!". I knew it is about to come eventually - it is a part of the learning process but with little energy left and blogging suspended anyway it just reinforced the downward slide.


Enough complaining! What are my plans for the future?

I definitely want to start blogging again. It is very educational and rewarding and I highly recommend it to everyone but for now, I can not figure how and where to fit it into my routines.  I want to blog regularly every week at least but if that requirement turns out to be too strict I may drop it and just release an occasional post. We'll see.

Kids are growing up and I'm finding more and more spare time to read, learn, watch conference videos, etc. and I keep putting stuff into my backlog so when I return I'll have a backlog full of ideas. Hopefully, it will happen sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment